Williams’ Ky. Cavalry at Nancy’s Creek
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Williams’ Ky. Cavalry at Nancy’s Creek
- Location: Powers Ferry Rd just south of Nancy Creek bridge, Atlanta
WILLIAMS’ KY. CAVALRY AT NANCY’S CREEK
A concerted, but scattered, endeavor was made by Wheeler’s cavalry [CSA] to oppose the advance of Federal forces from four Chattahoochee River crossings toward Atlanta, July 1864.
July 18, Brig. Gen. John S. Williams (formerly Grigsby’s) Kentucky brigade, Wheeler’s cav., patrolled this road. Though outnumbered, Williams’ troops fought delaying actions to obstruct the march of Howard’s 4th A.C. moving from Crossroads Church to Buckhead. Williams’ brigade, with a section of artillery, halted Federal progress at Nancy’s Creek until forced back by superior numbers.
060-18 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954