Williams’ Div. Deployed
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Williams’ Div. Deployed
- Location: Intersection of Bitsy Grant Tennis Center and Northside Drive in Atlanta
WILLIAMS’ DIV. DEPLOYED
July 20, 1864. Williams’ div., 20th A.C., having crossed Peachtree Cr. 750 yds. N., deployed his 3 brigades - Robinson’s, Knipe’s & Ruger’s in the order named, on this ridge from this point W. This was part of a general move on Atlanta by Fed. forces - no precautions taken against attack for none was anticipated. Geary’s div. was posted on ridge .5 mi. S.E. at Collier Rd. A deep ravine separated the two; no road where N. Side Dr. is located. When the attack by Stewart’s A.C. struck both Williams and Geary, the latter was forced to refuse his right wing down the slope to connect with Robinson’s brigade at this point.
060-57 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955