Where Hood Watched the Battle of Atlanta
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Where Hood Watched the Battle of Atlanta
- Location: Located in the north part of Oakland Cemetery on Memorial Dr. in Atlanta
WHERE HOOD WATCHED THE BATTLE OF ATLANTA
In 1856 James E. Williams (Mayor of Atlanta 1866-1868), built a residence atop this high ground which later became a part of Oakland Cemetery. From the second story of the house, Gen. John B. Hood, in command of Confederate forces, & members of his staff, watched that part of the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864, where Brown’s & Clayton’s divs., Cheatham’s A.C. [CSA], moved eastward astride the Ga. R.R. to the assault on the Federal 15th A.C. line also astride the R.R. – at DeGress Ave., 1 1/4 mi. distant.
A notable landmark of this area – the Rolling Mill – stood on the site of the cotton mill.
060-106 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956