West Side Siege Line
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: West Side Siege Line
- Location: Chappell Rd. just south of Simpson Rd. in Atlanta
WEST SIDE SIEGE LINE
Howard’s Army of the Tenn. (3 corps), which had fought E. of Atlanta July 22, were shifted to this area W. of the city, July 27, 28, 1864. Dodge’s 16th & Blair’s 17th A.C. were aligned along Chapel Rd. which, in 1864, led S.W. directly to Ezra Ch. (MOZLEY PARK), where the line was prolonged westward by the 15th corps. This shift of Federal forces was a thrust at the 2 railroads entering the city from the S.W. at East Point. After the Battle of Ezra Church, July 28, siege operations were pushed E. toward Atlanta by these troops, together with the 14th & 23d corps, which prolonged the line s. to the Campbellton Road.
060-140 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958