Ward’s Div. Deployed
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Ward’s Div. Deployed
- Location: Colonial Homes Dr at Bobby Jones Golf Course, Atlanta
WARD’S DIV. DEPLOYED
July 20, 1864. Gen. W. T Ward’s 3d div., 20th A.C., having crossed the creek at Peachtree Road, moved to the low ground at stream-side, its three brigades aligned westward, facing S. from E. to W. were Wood’s, Coburn’s & Harrison’s brigades. Wood’s left joined Newton’s 4th A.C. div. on Peachtree Rd; Harrison’s right rested at Tanyard Branch; Coburn’s at center.
South of the flat were two parallel ridges, separated by a ravine. Ward’s troops [Federal] advanced to the first ridge from which they met the attack by Hood’s forces [Confederate] from the S., topping the rise of the 2d ridge where Collier Rd. is located, & descending toward the ravine.
060-32 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955