The Troup Hurt House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Troup Hurt House
- Location: DeGress Ave. north of DeKalb Ave. in Atlanta
THE TROUP HURT HOUSE
The plantation house of Geo. M.T. Hurt, begun the Summer of 1862, never completed & never occupied as a residence, stood on the site of the stone church. It faced the Decatur Rd.
July 18, 1864. A sector of the outer line of Atlanta’s defense works was located just E. of the house, which was used as h’dq’rs by the 10th S. Carolina regt., (Confederate) of Manigault’s brigade.
July 22. The same troops, having withdrawn to the city the night before, returned late afternoon & attacked the Federal forces occupying the position, capturing & holding it until driven out. This is the moment shown in the Cyclorama of the Battle of Atlanta.
060-97 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956