Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

The Sandy Springs


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: The Sandy Springs
  • Location: Sandy Springs Circle at Hilderbrand Dr, Sandy Springs

THE SANDY SPRINGS

This community is named form the natural springs bubbling up through clear white sand in the meadow below. The Springs were a Cherokee and Creek Indian campsite which became the property of the orphans of John Medows of Henry County in the 1821 Land Lottery. Wilson Spruill purchased the property in 1842. He and his neighbors build a log cabin church on the ridge above in 1848 and Methodist camp meetings were held here for over 100 years. The Springs also served as a resting point along a significant southeastern migration route. The Williams-Payne farmhouse (circa 1869) was moved to the Springs site in 1985.

An Historic Regional Landmark