Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

The Railroad Cut


  • Source: Charles Geiger
  • Marker: The Railroad Cut
  • Location: DeKalb Ave. between Battery Place and DeGress Ave. in Atlanta

THE RAILROAD CUT

In 1864 the single track of the Ga. R.R. ran through a deep cut opposite this point. Crossing it & the Decatur rd. was the intrenched line of the Federal 15th A.C. as of July 22. This was a sector of McPherson’s Army of the Tenn. which occupied trenches vacated by Gen. Cheatham’s A.C. [Confed.] the previous night.

Cheatham’s troops temporarily recovered the line here – late afternoon of the 22d – mostly by front assault, partly by penetrating it at the unguarded cut – and episode portrayed in the Cyclorama at Grant Park. The ground was greatly altered after the war; the R.R. cut was still visible as late as 1903.

060-94 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956