The Hiram Embry Plantation
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: The Hiram Embry Plantation
- Location: Channing Dr. just east of Howell Mill Rd., Atlanta
THE HIRAM EMBRY PLANTATION
500 ft. W. stood the ante-bellum residence of Hiram H. Embry (1805-1877), a notable landmark during the battle of Peachtree Cr.
At 4 P.M., July 20, 1864, Walthall’s div. [Confederate] advanced N. on this road to attack the Federal line above Collier Road – Reynolds’ brigade on left, Cantey’s (O’Neal’s) on right. Deploying at old Mt. Zion Church, the brigades came up abreast.
In maintaining alignment on the right with Loring’s div., [Confederate] both brigades swung Eastward – a move that diverted Reynolds’ troops across the road near the Embry house & directed its assault toward the re-entrant angle of the Federal line across the deep ravine.
060-47 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955