The Exterior Line
- Source: Charles Geiger
- Marker: The Exterior Line
- Location: Cascade Ave. and Martin Luther King Dr. in Atlanta
THE EXTERIOR LINE JULY-AUGUST, 1864
When Federal forces E. of Atlanta were shifted to the W. side, to move against the Macon and the West Point railroads (entering the city from the S.W.), the Confederate defenders intrenched a line W. of a parallel to them.
This line began at W. Fair & Ashby Sts. & ran w.W. to & beyond this point, ending at the Ga. Military Academy in College Park.
Siege operations (July 28 - Aug. 25) were barren of results & ceased with transfer of Federal forces S. to Fairburn & Jonesboro, where the seizure of the railroads & the consequent evacuation of Atlanta, ended the campaign.
060-136 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958