Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer
  • Location: 731 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta

The Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Redeemer

The Lutheran Church of the Redeemer was founded in 1903 as the first English-speaking Lutheran congregation in Atlanta. The church’s first building was erected in 1905 near the state capitol. The church moved in 1937 to Peachtree and Fourth Streets where in 1952 its current structure was completed. Designed by Harold Wagoner of Philadelphia, the gothic structure is of Tennessee quartzite and Indiana limestone. Redeemer, founded by thirty-nine people, grew in one hundred years to become the largest Lutheran congregation in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Tennessee, which comprise the Southeastern Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

2000.8

Erected by The Georgia Historical Society and the Lutheran Church of the Redeemer

60-5