The 15th Corps Sector
- Source: Gary Carter
- Marker: The 15th Corps Sector
- Location: DeKalb Ave. between Battery Place and DeGress Ave. in Atlanta
THE 15TH CORPS SECTOR
July 20, 1864. Posted on this ridge, astride the Georgia R.R. was the right flank of Hood’s old corps, (Confederate) Gen. B.F. Cheatham commanding.
July 22. These troops were withdrawn, before daylight, to the city fortifications. The vacated line was occupied by Logan’s corps, (Union) which was reversed to face westward.
Gen. Morgan L. Smith’s div. centered at the R.R., Lightburn’s brigade posted (between DeGress Ave. & Battery Place) west of the Hurt house; Martin’s, S. of it – The R.R. cut separating them. The Confederate assault, afternoon July 22d, broke the lines of Lightburn & Martin’s brigades at the Decatur Rd. & the railroad cut.
060-95 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956