Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Stanley’s & Wood’s Sector
- Location: Fork of Johnson and Lenox Rds, Atlanta
STANLEY’S & WOOD’S SECTOR
A point in the intrenched line of the Federal 4th A.C., July 20-22, 1864. Stanley’s & Wood’s divs. marched to this sector from Buckhead via Old Cheshire Bridge Rd., LaVista, Williams Mill & Johnson Rds., crossing S. Fork of Peachtree Creek at Durand’s Mill.
These troops were shifted E. from Peachtree Rd. to fill an interval between that rd. & the 23rd A.C. on Briarcliff. They faced the salient angle of Atlanta’s outer defense line 1/4 mi. S. held by Stevenson’s div., Cheatham’s A.C. Early the 22d, Cheatham withdrew to the city; 4th & 23d A.C. troops advanced to the siege line at the Augustus Hurt house.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION