Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Springvale Park


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Springvale Park
  • Location: Edgewood Ave. at Waverly Way in Atlanta

SPRINGVALE PARK

July 22, 1864. Brig. Gen. John C. Brown’s div. of Cheatham’s A.C. [Confed.] moved astride the Georgia R.R., E. from the Atlanta fortifications to attack the Federals at the Troup Hurt house.

Manigault’s brigade, followed by Sharp’s, were north of the R.R.; Coltart’s & Benton’s S. of it. Manigault’s brigade halted in a ravine to reform its line while Coltart’s brigade, S. of the R.R. came up abreast. Resuming the charge, Manigault’s men ascended the slope to & beyond the Pope house, penetrating the Federal line at the railroad cut & seizing the Illinois batteries. A remnant of the ravine is still visible in Springvale Park.

060-91 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956