Site of Old Cheshire Bridge
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Site of Old Cheshire Bridge
- Location: Buford Hwy just east of Lenox Rd at Shady Valley Dr, Atlanta
SITE OF OLD CHESHIRE BRIDGE
The original Cheshire Bridge Road, crossing N. Fork Peachtree C. at this point, was the route taken by two divisions of Howard’s 4th A. C. moving to occupy a gap in the Federal line between Peachtree Rd. & Schofield’s 23d A. C. posted S. on Durand’s Mill (Briarcliff Rd.).
July 19, 1864. Stanley’s div. was opposed by Confederate cav. which burned the bridge & was delayed until it was rebuilt. Stanley camped S. E. near the county line.
July 20. Wood’s div. followed - brought forward from Buckhead by Howard who had returned from Stanley’s camp for that purpose.
060-21 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954