Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Second Oldest D.A.R. Chapter


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Second Oldest D.A.R. Chapter
  • Location: Piedmont Ave just south of 15th St, Atlanta

SECOND OLDEST D.A.R. CHAPTER

This is the Atlanta Chapter, D.A.R., organized April 15, 1891;, oldest Chapter in Georgia; second oldest in the National Society, Daughters of the American Revolution. Mrs. Henry Jackson was first Regent.

Meetings were held in private homes and at the State Capitol, until 1895, when “Craigie House,” the Massachusetts Sate Building at the Cotton State Exposition was presented to the Chapter. It was sold in 1909 and this new “Craigie House” was built in 1911.

060-4B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1953