- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Roswell Factory
- Location: Sloan and Mill Streets, Roswell
Chattahoochee River water power caused Roswell King to establish a town here in 1837. He had a cotton mill in operation by 1839.
By 1853 two cotton mills, a woolen mill, flour mill, and tannery were in operation, employing two hundred and fifty hands. In 1864 Sherman burned the mills, and skilled female operatives were sent north to deprive the south of their services.
The mills were rebuilt after the war and have been in continuous operation.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION