Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Palmetto


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Palmetto
  • Location: Confederate Monument on U.S. 29 in Palmetto

PALMETTO

Palmetto was named by a member of the Palmetto Guards, a Regiment from South Carolina enroute to the Mexican War. This was in appreciation of the hospitality shown them by the community while encamped here in January, 1847

[Apparently, this is an old U.S. Works Progress Administration Marker that has been removed from its former pole, refurbished, and mounted on a marble base in front of a monument erected along U.S. 29. If not an original WPA marker, the numbering system indicates that it is a replica of an actual marker that once stood.]