Paces Ferry United Methodist Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Paces Ferry United Methodist Church
- Location: 3650 Paces Ferry Road at Mount Paran Road, Atlanta
PACES FERRY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH ESTABLISHED 1877
On 29 September 1877 William Brown donated one acre of land at the intersection of Paces Ferry and Mount Paran Roads for the purpose of establishing and building a church. Pleasant Hill Methodist Church was first served by circuit rider minsters, one of whom was Reverend W. J. Rolader. During the week the church houses the Pleasant Hill Private Academy. Miss Ida Williams, the first teacher, established a Carnegie Branch library in the Buckhead community. A local library was named in her honor.
The adjacent Pleasant Hill Cemetery contains marked grave of William Brown who served the Confederacy. Many soldiers were killed nearby during the 16-17 July 1864 engagement between Confederate General Joseph Wheeler’s cavalry and Union General George H. Thomas’s 20th Corp.
On 30 October 1955 the congregation of West Wesley Methodist Church merged with Pleasant Hill Methodist Church to form Paces Ferry Methodist Church. It became Paces Ferry United Methodist Church with the denomination’s merger in 1968. The one room white clapboard church with the two red doors stands firmly on its hill as a constant reminder of our rural past.
PLACED BY THE THOMAS JOHNSON CHAPTER NATIONAL SOCIETY COLONIAL DAMES XVII CENTURY 2010