Old Milton County
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Old Milton County
- Location: Alpharetta City Hall (built on the site of the old Milton County Courthouse) in Alpharetta
OLD MILTON COUNTY
This was the Courthouse of Milton County at the time it was merged with Fulton County Jan. 1, 1932. When the County was created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 18, 1857, it was named for Homer V. Milton, General in the War of 1812, though some claim the name was for his ancestor John Milton, first Secretary of State of Georgia. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James C. Mitchell; Clerk of Superior Court Joseph W. Johnston; Clerk of Inferior Court John L. Moore; Ordinary Oliver P. Skelton; Tax Receiver Barnabas B. Johnson; Tax Collector John K.C. Shirley; Treasurer John P. Reaves; Coroner H.W. Paris and Surveyor William Young.
060-25A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955