New Prospect Campground
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: New Prospect Campground
- Location: 116 N. Main Street, Alpharetta
NEW PROSPECT CAMPGROUND circa 1835
The campground was located to the immediate west of the intersection of North Main and Cumming Streets. The location included several springs and its proximity to westward routes made the area a suitable overnight camp location for travelers. With the opening of Cherokee lands by the State of Georgia in the early 1830s, the site became known as New Prospect. The grounds included an arbor and were covered with tents until land could be obtained for homes. Later, a log building was constructed for a school and church. Circuit riders of the Methodist Church often led church services. The creation of Milton County in 1857 prompted the development of a new town to the south. Over time, the campground was discontinued and became part of Alpharetta.