- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Montgomery’s Ferry
- Location: At Fort Peach Tree, Atlanta Water Works, off Ridgewood Rd
James McC. Montgomery acquired 1000 acres in this vicinity about 1821.Owning land on both sides of the river, he had a private ferry until granted a State franchise, Dec. 25. 1837, signed by his friend, Gov. Geo. Gilmer. It was located where the Seaboard bridge now spans the river & it remained the only traffic crossing on main rd. from Atlanta to Marietta until 1872, except the war-years, 1864-1865, in which the boats disappeared.
Refugees returning, post-war, to N. Georgia & Tenn. had no means of crossing until Thomas Moore & volunteer helpers, after 72 hrs. of incredible effort, constructed an emergency flat.
060-62 Georgia Historical Commission 1956