McPherson’s Troops March to Decatur
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: McPherson’s Troops March to Decatur
- Location: Roberts Dr. at Spalding Dr. in Dunwoody
McPHERSON’S TROOPS MARCH TO DECATUR
July 17, 1864. The three Federal armies, commanded by Gen. W. T. Sherman, having crossed the Chattahoochee River at Soap Creek, at Power’s & Pace’s ferries, & at Shallow Ford near Roswell, began the moved toward Atlanta on a wide front, designed to approach the city from the North, North-East and East.
McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee, consisting of Logan’s 15th, Dodge’s 16, & Blair’s 17th Corps, having crossed at Shallow Ford, moved on this road toward Decatur, in the sequence as named. Their routes traversed the upper valleys of Nancy’s and Peachtree Creeks.
060-7 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1984