McPherson’s Troops at Shallow Ford
- Source: Don Hogan
- Marker: McPherson’s Troops at Shallow Ford
- Location: Intersection of Azalea Dr. and Roswell Rd. in Roswell, Ga.
McPHERSON’S TROOPS AT SHALLOW FORD
Here, in 1824, Jacob R. Brooks established a ferry at Shallow Ford where the old Hightower Trail crossed the Chattahoochee.
July 10, 1864. Dodge’s 16th A.C., after a forced march of 27 mi. from the Sandtown Rd. (near Mabletown), via Marietta, reached Roswell. The troops waded the river & relieved Newton’s 4th A.C. div. in the trenches S. of it.
July 15. Logan’s 15th A.C. reached Roswell & crossed on the two bridges built by Dodge’s engineers. With the arrival of Blair’s 17th A.C., July 17, McPherson’s forces [Union] – reassembled after a long march – moved toward Decatur.
060-6 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954