Margaret Mitchell House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Margaret Mitchell House
- Location: In front of the Margaret Mitchell House at 990 Peachtree Street at 10th St., Atlanta
MARGARET MITCHELL HOUSE
Completed in 1899 by Cornelius J. Sheehan, the Margaret Mitchell House was originally a single-family, Tudor Revival residence. In 1913, the house was relocated to the rear of the property and converted into a ten-unit apartment building, known as the Crescent Apartments, in 1919.
In 1925, Margaret Mitchell and her husband, John Marsh, moved into Apartment No. 1 where Mitchell wrote the Pulitzer-Prize winning novel Gone with the Wind.
Today, the Margaret Mitchell House is a designated city landmark listed on the National Register of Historic Places, a popular tourist destination, and home to the award-winning Literary Center at the Margaret Mitchell House. ATLANTA HISTORY CENTER 2010