Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Lick Skillet Road


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Lick Skillet Road
  • Location: Martin Luther King Dr at Mozley Dr, Atlanta

LICK SKILLET ROAD

A winding dirt road of the 1860’s which passed Ezra Ch. (S.E. cor. Mozley Park) & continued S.W. to Gordon Terrace, where it joined Gordon R. & ran westward to a cross-roads settlement called Lick Skillet, now know as Adamsville. The road, Mozley Drive, did not exist in 1864.

Lick Skillet Road is cited frequently in reports, Confederate & Federal, as are 2 other landmarks of the battlefield: Erza Church & the Alms House. The latter stood the present Gate House of the West View Cemetery.

The Battle of Erza Ch. began with the advance of S.D. Lee’s A.C. (deployed E. & W. of the Alms House), northward across Lick Skillet Road.

060-147 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958