- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: King’s Brigade
- Location: Peachtree Hills Avenue at Tennis Center, Atlanta
July 20, 1864. In Federal advances on Atlanta from the N.E., a gap was left between the 23d A.C. (on Briarcliff Rd.) and Newton’s Div., 4th A.C., on Peachtree Rd. S. of the creek. Two 4th A.C. divisions were shifted E. to occupy the gap.
When both divisions were deployed west from Williams Mill Rd. (Briarcliff), a half-mile interval was held by pickets only. Not until 6 p.m. was the gap occupied by King’s 14th A.C. brigade, shifted E. from Howell Mill Rd. and posted in this sector N. of the creek - a belated precaution and perhaps unavailing, had Hood [Confederate] attacked by Plaster’s Bridge Road (Piedmont Rd.) in the Battle of Peachtree Creek.
060-73 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1987