Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Kilpatrick’s Cavalry on the Newnan Stage Road
- Location: Cobb and Hardee Drives, Fort McPherson
KILPATRICK’S CAVALRY ON THE NEWNAN STAGE ROAD
On November 14, 1864, the third cavalry of General Sherman’s Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Brig. General Judson L. Kilpatrick’s, USA, 5500 men and 6 guns, marched from Marietta via Mayson-Turner Ferry (Bankhead Highway bridge) and bivouacked 4 miles southwest of Atlanta on the Newman Stage Road (Hardee Avenue in Fort McPherson). Kilpatrick’s division had been selected by General Sherman as the cavalry component of a reduced field force with which he was about to move through Georgia to the sea.
On the 15th, the Right Wing of General Sherman’s army, Maj. General O.O. Howard, USA, marched from bivouac areas near White Hall (West End) in two columns. The 15th Corps, Maj. General P. J. Osterhaus, USA, moved via Old Jonesboro Road (Langston Ave - Perkerson Road - Stewart Ave. - Old Jonesboro road) toward Jonesboro. The 17th Corps, Maj. General F. P Blair, USA, moved via McDonough Road (Capitol Ave. - McDonough Blvd. - U.S. 23) toward Stockbridge. Kilpatrick marched at dawn, covering Howard’s right flank. He moved past East Point, turned south along Flint River, and attacked Iverson’s smaller cavalry division [Confederate], driving it through Jonesboro and toward Lovejoy’s Station, 6 miles to the south.
060-116B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 19??