- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Isom’s Ferry
- Location: Heard family cemetery on Heards Drive in Sandy Springs, Fulton County
Chattahoochee River, at mouth of Soap Cr., .75 mi. N.W., operated in the 1860’s by James Isom. Federal Army records cite it variously as Isham’s Ford or Fy., Phillip’s Fy., Cavalry Fd. The first of the Federal troops to pass the river was Cox’s div., Schofield’s 23d A.C. which crossed at Isom’s July 8, & was aligned on this ridge parallel to the river & covering the ferry. Hascall’s div. joined July 11 & by the 14th the adjusted corps line connected with the left of Howard’s 4th A.C. along the ridge of Mt. Vernon Rd. near Crossroads Ch.
John Heard (1835-1931) took over Isom’s Ferry in 1868 & operated it until 1890.
060-8 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954