Immaculate Conception Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Immaculate Conception Church
- Location: 48 Martin Luther King Drive, Atlanta
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION CHURCH
First Catholic Church in the Atlanta area
and the oldest complete building standing in
The church was established in 1848. The first
building, a frame structure, was erected here
in 1851. Father Thomas O’Reilly, its pastor,
successfully appealed to Union General H.W.
Slocum in 1864 to spare his church and the
neighborhood. Thus, the church, four other
churches, and the City Hall-Court House were
saved from destruction when Atlanta was burned.
Cornerstone of this structure laid in 1869.
Completed and dedicated in 1873. Designated
a Shrine in 1954.
060-198 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1981