- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Howell’s Mills
- Location: Howell Mill Rd. at Peachtree Creek bridge, Atlanta
A notable ante-bellum land-mark established 1852, by Judge Clark Howell (1811-1882). Two buildings – grist and sash-sawmills – which stood on the N. bank, and in the bend of, Peachtree Cr. 1000 ft. west of the present bridge.
The old road crossed the creek on a wooden bridge to the west of the present highway and bridge. Surviving the war, the mills burned in 1879. They were the center of a rural community with a P.O. (1876-1891). Another enterprise was Foster’s Woolen Mill, established circa 1880 – which stood on the S. bank of the creek, to the W. of this marker.
060-51 GEORGIA HISTORICAL MARKER 1989