Historic Mt. Gilead Methodist Church
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Historic Mt. Gilead Methodist Church
- Location: Located at the Mt. Gilead church on Fairburn Rd north of Redwine Rd, Atlanta
HISTORIC MT. GILEAD METHODIST CHURCH
One of the first churches in Fulton County, Mt. Gilead was founded April 23, 1824 by Rev. John M. Smith (1789-1863) who is buried here. It was organized by Rev. William J. Parks. Many early settlers worshiped here and their descendants still live nearby. During the War Between the States the church was used by Confederates and Federals as a hospital. Confederate cavalry under Ross were here, Aug. 15-16, 1864; McDowell’s Confederate Scouts, Aug. 22, 1864. On Sunday, Aug. 28, 1864, a skirmish took place here as fragments of the Federal 2nd Div., Army of the Cumberland, moved toward Jonesboro. The church has been rebuilt several times.
060-111A GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956