- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Historic Ground
- Location: Washington St. on northwest corner of State Capitol Square, Atlanta
Atlanta’s first City Hall stood here 1853-1883. Used jointly by Fulton county courts.
During Atlanta’s occupation - Sept. to Nov. 1864 - the 2nd Mass. Regiment, constituting the Provost Guard of Sherman’s army, camped in a park on this site.
From here, Sept. 6, 1864, went notice to the civilian population of Atlanta to assembly for registration and evacuation.
Present State Capitol begun 1884; completed 1889. Commissioners turned back $118.43 of a $1,000,000 building appropriation.
060-2 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1952