- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Hapeville, Georgia
- Location: Hapeville City Hall, King Arnold and N. Fulton, 1 blk N of old depot, Hapeville
Hapeville is situated on the Central Railroad of Georgia, eight miles from Atlanta, upon a water-shed extending from Atlanta to Macon. When chartered on September 16, 1891, Hapeville was considered the most attractive suburban town around Atlanta because of her society, location and educational advantages. Many of the first settlers made Hapeville their summer home.
Hapeville was named for Dr. Samuel Hape, who was in the dental supply business in Atlanta. In 1879, Dr. Hape moved out to his country place of 500 acres. He was the first mayor and first postmaster after Hapeville was incorporated in 1891. Dr. Hape served in an important capacity in the Confederate Army, was a member of St. Phillips Episcopal Church, a member of the City Council of Atlanta, Vice President of American Pomological Society, a Mason and a Shriner. He passed away in 1915 at the age of 85.
In this year 1971, there have been some definite changes in the land area, but there will never be a change in the way the residents feel about Hapeville.
HISTORICAL MARKER ERECTED BY HAPEVILLE WOMAN’S CLUB, FIRST CIVIC ORGANIZATION