- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Grant Park
- Location: Grant Park, Atlanta
Named for Col. Lemuel P. Grant (1817-1893), pioneer railroad builder and public-spirited citizen of Atlanta, who donated to the city 87.5 of this area for a park May 17, 1883. An additional 44 acres acquired by purchase from Col. Grant, increased it to 131.5 acres April 4, 1890.
Grant Park has the national distinction of being the location of one of the few extant cycloramas – the subject of which memorializes the major engagement fought by Confederate and Federal forces in the environs of the city – the Battle of Atlanta, July 22, 1864.
060-107 GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983