Gen. Cleburne’s H’dq’rs
- Source: Byron Hooks
- Marker: Gen. Cleburne’s H’dq’rs
- Location: Johnson Rd just west of Perry Blvd and Marietta Rd, Atlanta
GEN. CLEBURNE’S H’DQ’RS.
On hill 200 yds. west stood the ante-bellum res. of Archibald Whitehead, headquarters of General Patrick R. Cleburne. July 10-18, 1864. After withdrawal of Johnston’s army to this side of the river, night of July 9, his forces were posted at various points in this vicinity until Federal movements determined defensive measures. When ascertained, Johnston’s preparations for defense were disrupted by his relief of army command, night of July 17, and the appointment of Hood as his succesor. July 18. Cleburne’s div. and the rest of Hardee’s A.C. were sifted to the valley of Peachtree Creek between Peachtree & Howell Mill Roads.