Geary’s Three Bridges
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Geary’s Three Bridges
- Location: Northside Dr and Wesley Dr, Atlanta
GEARY’S THREE BRIDGES
July 19, 1864. Covered by the fire of Geary’s 12 guns (Union) on the ridge N. of the cr., together with the musketry of a heavy skirmish line, the division pioneers hastily built a foot-bridge with timbers previously prepared.
Ireland’s brigade quickly filed across under fire & seized the first ridge S. of the cr. Candy’s & Jones’ followed Ireland’s & cast up an entrenched bridgehead for the night.
By dawn of the 20th, two other bridges were thrown across; roads to them were cut for wagon & artillery & Williams’ div. crossed. These bridges were used after the war - their ancient remains visible as late as 1913.
060-56 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1955