Garrard’s Cav. & Newton’s Division
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Garrard’s Cav. & Newton’s Division
- Location: Azalea Dr. just west of Atlanta St/Roswell Rd. in Roswell, Ga.
GARRARD’S CAV. & NEWTON’S DIVISION
July 9, 1864. Roswell bridge, having been destroyed by the retreating Confederates, Garrard’s cav. [Union] waded the river at Shallow Ford in face of opposition from the south side.
Wilder’s brigade (Miller, commanding) led off – its 4 regiments abreast as skirmishers, followed by the 3 regiments of Minty’s brigade. The ridge, 300 yds. S. of the river, was seized, intrenched & held by Garrard’s troopers until relieved at dusk by Newton’s 4th A.C. div. which had moved up from Vining’s Station. Newton, in turn, was relieved by Dodge’s 16th A.C. [Union], July 10. Dodge’s engineers built 2 bridges.
060-5 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1954