- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: French’s Line
- Location: Chattahochee Ave and Carroll Dr, Atlanta
July 9, 1864. Confederate forces withdrew to this side of the river near the State R.R. bridge. Gen. S.G. French’s div. (Stewart’s A.C.) was posted above & below the bridge as a rear guard of Johnston’s Army of Tennessee. July 18. French’s div occupied the left sector of Atlanta’s outer defense line -from the old Marietta Rd. at Casey’s Hill to DeFoors Fy. Rd. This line extended E. to Highland Ave. & was S. of & parallel to Peachtree Creek.
This marker is at the point where French’s entrenchments crossed Woodall CVreek. Casey’s Hill is .9 mi. W.; Chattahoochee Ave. is a post war road to the river at Bolton.
GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER