French’s Division Hood’s Left Flank
- Source: Byron Hooks
- Marker: French’s Division Hood’s Left Flank
- Location: Davis Circle just off DeFoor Avenue, Atlanta
FRENCH’S DIVISION HOOD’S LEFT FLANK
July 20. 1864. The right of Gen. S. F. French’s division of Stewart’s A. C. [Confederate] rested on DeFoor’s Road - the left, being at Casey’s Hill 1.5 miles west, during the Battle of Peachtree Creek. While Walthall’s and Loring’s division’s attacked the Federal 20th A. C. at Collier Rd., French’s 3 brigades were on Waithall’s left, & by demonstrations in force engaged the attention of the 14th A. C. thereby preventing its unlimited participation in the battle. The high knoll west of here (at Davis’ Circle) topped by a formidable redoubt, was a part of French’s entrenched line.
GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION