- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Founders’ Cemetery
- Location: Founders Cemetery at end of Sloan Street, Roswell
This cemetery, the first in Roswell, was the burying ground of the village from 1840 to 1860. Among the distinguished dead who rest here are Roswell’s founder, Roswell King; Major James Stephens Bulloch, grandfather of president Theodore Roosevelt and grandson of Archibald Bulloch, first president of Georgia; and John Dunwody, Esq., builder of Mimosa Hall, and his wife, Jane Bulloch Dunwody. An outbreak of scarlet fever in 1841 resulted in the death of many children. Among them was Charles Irving Bulloch, infant son of Major and Mrs. James Stephens Bulloch. Another child buried here was three-year-old Ralph King Hand, son of the widowed daughter of Roswell King, Eliza Hand, for whom the first permanent home in Roswell was build, Primrose Cottage.
Slaves of the families were buried in Founders’ Cemetery. There are many unmarked graves, the last burial was May 18, 1860 – James A. Burney, the only son of Dr. and Mrs. P.J. Burney.
This historic marker was erected in the year 1977 by Roswell Woman’s Club.