- Source: Ed Jackson
- Marker: Fort Walker
- Location: Grant Park, Atlanta
Southeastern salient of Atlanta’s inner line of fortifications erected during the Summer & Fall of 1863. The line consisted of a cordon of redoubts on hills connected by rifle pits encircling the city, aggregating some 10.5 miles of earthworks designed & supervised by Col. L. P. Grant, pioneer citizen, construction engineer & railroad builder of Atlanta.
After 93 years, it is one of a few remnants of a line that withstood the quartering steel & climbing fire of Federal armies forty-two days – evacuated only when the remaining R.R. was cut. The fort was named for Maj. General W.H.T. Walker, killed in the Battle of Atlanta.
060-108 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956