Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Fort Peachtree, War of 1812


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Fort Peachtree, War of 1812
  • Location: Ridgewood Rd at Ridgewood Circle

FORT PEACHTREE, WAR OF 1812

One of a line of forts hastily constructed during the war of 1812 to control the Creek Indians who were in alliance with the British’ Fort Peachtree occupied the summit northeast of the confluence of the Chattahoochee River and Peachtree Creek, and overlooked the Creek trading post town of Standing Peachtree. First Lt. George Rockingham Gilmer (Governor of Georgia, 1829-31, 1837-39) erected the fort in 1814. He later said he had “never seen a fort” up until that time, but as far as anyone knows, his construction was successful, since the strength of the fort was never tested.

Sgt James McConnell Montgomery, one of Gilmer’s command of twenty-two, wrote Gen. Andrew Jackson (March 20, 1814) that the site, “on a commanding eminence,” provided a “romantic” view of the river, both up stream and down. In July he described the fort as being “two large hew’d logg block houses, six dwelling houses, one fram’d store hose, one Bridge .. . and five boats” which cost “the Government not less than five thousand dollars.” (Montgomery later returned to live here. He became postmaster of Standing Peachtree and established Montgomery’s Ferry near the fort site.) After the War of 1812, Fort Peachtree was apparently abandoned. No trace of the fort remains atop the hill.

060-194 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1966