Choose another Topic

Fulton County Historical Markers

Fire Station No. 16


  • Source: David Seibert
  • Source: David Seibert
  • Marker: Fire Station No. 16
  • Location: Fire Station 16, 1048 Joseph E. Boone Boulevard, at Flowers Place, Atlanta

FIRE STATION NO. 16 Erected 1963

(Side 1)

During the civil rights movement, members of the African-American community pressured the Mayor and City Council of Atlanta to integrate the city’s fire department. In 1962, Mayor Ivan Allen, authorized the first hiring of sixteen African American firemen. On April 1, 1963, after completing training, they were housed at Fire Station No. 16, as stations were not yet integrated. Located in 1048 Simpson Rd. (now Joseph E. Boone Blvd.), the station was built upon the former property of Theodore “Tiger” Flowers, the world’s first African American middleweight champion.

Continuing the efforts to diversify the fire department, Mayor Maynard Jackson ordered the hiring of seven African-American women to serve as firefighters in 1977.

Presented by Council member Julian Bond, Post 1 At-Large MMXIII

(Side 2)

Atlanta’s first African American Male Firefighters

Johnny Belcher Ralph Lester Frank Bolden Quinton Redding Harvey Bowen Harold Rosemond Theodore Ector James Maddox William Hamer Elbert Morrow Milton Harp Marvin Reed William Callier Emmett Smith Gatrell Jordan, Jr. Robert Ware

Atlanta’s First African American Female Firefighters Lisa Bradley Shella Calloway Louvenia Jenkins Janice Jones Sheila Kirkland Emma C. Morris Liz R. Summers

Presented by Councilmember Michael Julian Bond, post 1 At-Large MMXIII Dedicated by Councilmember Michael Julian Bond, post 1 At-Large and Atlanta Fire Rescue Department chief Kelvin Cochran April 1, 2013