Federal Signal Station
- Source: Gary Carter
- Marker: Federal Signal Station
- Location: DeKalb and Moreland Avenues in Atlanta
FEDERAL SIGNAL STATION
July 22, 1864. When 15th A.C. troops moved W. from line (at Candler St.) to the vacated Confederate line at the Troup Hurt house (at DeGress Ave.), a signal station was established by Lt. Samuel Edge in a tall pine near this site commanding a view of fortified Atlanta.
Lt. Edge reported the advance of Confederate forces astride the R.R. and when the 15th A.C. line was broken, he abandoned the station – returning to it after the line was restored.
Near this site, in 1885, the battlefield was studied from a tower erected by the artists who created the Cyclorama; this established the viewing point of the big picture.
060-99A GEORGIA HISTORIC MARKER 1983