- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Davis’ Hill
- Location: Bankhead Highway and Chappell Rd. in Atlanta
The hill N. of the Chapel Rd. intersection was thus named after occupation & intrenching by Gen. J.C. Davis’ 2d Div., 14th A.C., July 22, when the Army of the Cumberland [Union] moved up from Peachtree Cr. to the siege line facing the N. sector of Atlanta’s defenses. Davis’ position here formed the Right of the siege until July 28.
From this hill Sherman directed Howard (com’d’g. Army of the Tenn., vice McPherson deceased) to align his 3 corps – the 15th, 16th, & 17th – S. along Chapel Rd., facing E. the shift of these troops from the E. to the W. side of Atlanta, began a move upon the 2 remaining railroads.
060-137 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1958