Confederate Intrenchments: 1864
- Source: Todd Massar
- Marker: Confederate Intrenchments: 1864
- Location: Adams Park (off end of Mill Acres Dr), Atlanta
CONFEDERATE INTRENCHMENTS: 1864
This line of earthworks in Adams Park is one of few remaining sections of the exterior portion of Atlanta’s defenses designed as a barrier to Federal attempts to cut the two railroads that enter the city from the S.W.
Built about Aug. 1, it joined the main line of city fortifications at W. Fair & Ashby Sts., from which it ran SW. to East Point – later prolonged to Thames’ Mill in Clayton County.
Manned by troops of Hardee’s & S.D. Lee’s corps, it with-stood all Federal attempts to seize it & was abandoned only when the Federals cut the railroads at Fairburn and Jonesboro.
060-161 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION