Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C.
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C.
- Location: Elixir at Wellington Streets, Atlanta
CLAYTON’S DIV., LEE’S A.C.
July 28, 1864. Deployed along the old Greensferry Rd. (West View Dr.) were Gibson’s, Holtzclaw’s and Baker’s brigades (Alabana and Louisiana troops), Clayton’s div., forming the right flank of Gen. S.D. Lee’s A. C. [Confederate] in the Battle of Ezra Church.
Moving northward in the heavily wooded area, their assault fell upon the Federal line at the salient angle (at Laurel Ave. and Archer. St.), occupied by the left flank, Logan’s 15th A. C. Unsupported on the left and counter-attacked in front, Clayton’s troops withdrew after two attempts to dislodge the Federals. Loring’s div., Stewart’s A. C., deployed in this vicinity, was not ordered into the battle.
060-145 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1985