Brown’s and Clayton’s Divs.
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Brown’s and Clayton’s Divs.
- Location: Edgewood Ave. and Delta Place in Atlanta
BROWN’S & CLAYTON’S DIVS.
July 22, 1864: 3:30 P.M. Gen. Hood [Confed.] launched an attack from the east line of the city fortifications, on the 15th A.C. astride the Ga. R.R. (at DeGress Ave.) – a mass assault by two divs. of Cheatham’s A.C.: Brown’s & Clayton’s. Brown’s brigades were: Manigault’s, Sharp’s, Coltart’s & Benton’s; Clayton’s brigades were: Stovall’s, Baker’s, Gibson’s & Holtzclaw’s.
The impact of these eight small brigades dislodged four Federal brigades from their intrenched line at and each side of the R.R. – where the spear-head of the attack was aimed. This, the critical molment of the battle is pictured in the Cyclorama at Grant Park.
060-100B GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956