Augustus Hurt House
- Source: David Seibert
- Marker: Augustus Hurt House
- Location: Located in the parking lot of the Carter Presidential Center in Atlanta
AUGUSTUS HURT HOUSE
200 yds. N.E. stood the plantation residence of Augustus F. Hurt (1830-1921), built 1858 and razed by Federal forces, 1864; erroneously cited in Official Records as the Howard house.
July 22, 1864. 4th & 23d A.C. troops, in line with Federal advances on Atlanta, occupied this hill, having marched via old Williams Mill Rd. Sherman, together with Howard & Schofield, maintained command posts here during the afternoon while McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee fought defensively at & S. of the Ga. R.R. where two of Hood’s corps [CSA] attacked it. Here, McPherson’s body was brought from battlefield enroute to burial at Clyde, Ohio.
060-79 GEORGIA HISTORICAL COMMISSION 1956